Sunday, November 1, 2009

Up and On, Up and On


Once again, the final week in October has ended with a reunion that I wouldn't have missed for the world! For those who don't know I am a proud COMBERMERIAN and as a product of Waterford University I understand the meaning of school spirit and the bond which all of us share.

However, as with all great things they come with some obstacles and for years people have envied the fellowship that Combermerians share. I am of the belief that excelling in academics is something you can achieve regardless of what institution you went to because the school can only facilitate and open an avenue for the knowledge to be received. It is up to the individual after that point to make the conscious decision whether they will take it or leave it. At the end of the day we are all doing the same CXCs and when the results come back it reflects on you primarily and then your school.

With that said, I would like to give my heartfelt apologies for those persons who don't understand the spirit of my alma mater. This had nothing to do with fairy dust or brainwashing but it has everything to do with understanding the history which you have become a part of. Combermere was the school that allowed those who weren't as rich to receive a higher education in the days when children had to wake up at 5 in the morning to tie out sheep and handle every chore before walking to school...shoes or not.

It opened many opportunities for black people in Barbados to excel and that is one of the main reasons we are so proud of our school, a landmark in Barbadian history. So for you who have problems with "Cawmere", stop trying to find fault and be proud of your own. We only got thus far because we banded together as a school, nothing and no one is stopping others from doing the same.

I think I have said what was necessary and I will stick by my school through thick and thin, hell and high water. It was a period in my life where I learnt invaluable lessons, things I could never learn in a classroom.

I close with these well known words of the school's motto

Religione. Humanitate. Industria

Risse

Y.F.B... the P.R of the Future

No comments: